Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Atco 1760

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Overjoyed to get my 1760 running today, its taken a long time to get to this stage. I left it running for 10 minutes then realised I had no idea how to turn it off! Thankfully it ran out of fuel. I still have no idea how to stop the engine. Can anybody help please.

Forums

wristpin Sun, 09/07/2023

As ever, an image of the machine will help. Not sure about 1760 but if it’s a 17”machine  from 1960 it may have a spring steel strip adjacent to the spark plug which is pressed down onto the plug terminal to short out the spark and stop the engine. Other than having to wait for the the machine to stop, turning off the fuel to stop the engine is not a bad thing and may avoid stale fuel related issues, however you do need to be able to stop the engine in an emergency.

Herby Sat, 29/07/2023

As Wristpin pointed out there should be some type of metal strip attached adjacent to the spark plug which you push down against the top of the plug to short it out.

If this is no longer there a long screwdriver will do the job in a pinch, holding the handle touch the screwdriver tip on a bare metal portion of the cylinder head and bring the shaft to contact the plug top. If you have a plug cap fitted you could just pull it off just beware of getting a kick if it's not fully insulated.