Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Dennis z type (1947) 24"

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hello,

Hoping somebody may be able to answer my questions regarding a Dennis z type (1947). When the engine is running and both clutches are out of gear the cutting cylinder still likes to turn and I have noticed the centre of the clutch is turning slowly. Should this be happening and if not can it be adjusted or is this terminal wear and in need of replacement? Also when the engine is not running and I push the mower around it 'growls' as it's moving along. Is this normal (and just bad tempered) or is something amiss?

Forums

wristpin Fri, 23/01/2015

Assuming that the clutch is adjusted to give a little clearance between the cone and cup it's possibly the result of  grease contamination of the clutch causing some clutch drag. Is the cutting cylinder  "in set"  and offering a little resistance ?

Jon Fri, 23/01/2015

Hello,

The cylinder is not set to cut and is a little away from the bottom blade therefore no resistance. I will adjust to lightly brush bottom blade and see if this stops it turning. What about the growling? is this normal?

wristpin Fri, 23/01/2015

Difficult to tell without hearing it;one man's growl is another's normal!

Could just be the roller drive chain running over its tensioning jockey sprocket and "driving" the traction clutch. Take the chain off and try it - still there,? roller bearings or diff gears. Dry or wet diff?

Not there with the chain off ? - something in the traction clutch, support bearing , spigot bearing etc.